Blogathon for Pearlington

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Me Again!

It’s my turn to do a few more hours of blogging while Joanna (Rosa G.) takes a rest, and since I neglected to say anything about myself this early a.m., maybe this is as good a time as any.

My name really is Sharon Gerald. I teach English at Jones County Junior College in Ellisville, MS. I got involved in the work at Pearlington through University Baptist Church in Hattiesburg, MS, and I got involved in UBC right after and because of Hurricane Katrina. Previously, I’d been sort of drifting along not really going to church anywhere. When the hurricane hit, though, I wanted both a place to go to church and a place to make a difference. I went to a couple of other churches asking what I could do to help before I tried UBC. Both places said they didn’t have anything for me, not because they weren’t doing anything but because they didn’t know me. When I went to UBC for a morning worship service, the pastor asked me if I wanted to help, and that’s the story of that. I’ve been volunteering in Pearlington off and on all year, and I’ve really come to love the town and the people there. I hope I am able to convey a little of that love through this blog.

We have to thank Joanna, though, for putting the bug in my ear about this blogathon. It was her idea, and I’m really grateful for her support as well as the creative energies she is bringing to the project.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, and don’t forget every little bit helps!

3 Comments:

  • God works in mysterious ways sometimes, and it seems you are just the person to have tapped on the shoulder. As I read this blog, I realize so many of us have no idea the magnitude of the damage and the difficulty the survivors of the storm have had getting their lives back to some sense of sanity.

    Bless all of you for your willingness to help.

    Sharon, I will send a check next week. It may not be more than $25 dollars or so, but in the meantime, maybe I can talk to some friends as well over the weekend.

    Take care, and get some rest.

    lucy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:09 PM  

  • Hi Lucy,

    What a good person you are! Thank you for the pledge and the promise to talk to friends about us, too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:47 PM  

  • Thanks, lucy! Passing the word along is a huge help. You never know who is going to be moved to offer support or what they might be able to accomplish.

    By Blogger Sharon Gerald, at 12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home