Blogathon for Pearlington

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Faith Without Borders

Without a doubt it’s the faith-based organizations that are really getting the job done on the Gulf Coast. And one of the most inspiring things I’ve ever seen is the way all of these people from different churches, different parts of the world, different races, and different political viewpoints are all working together toward a common goal—all united by the common belief that to serve God is to serve others.

I ran across a blog recently called "They Will Know Us By Our T-Shirts.” I love it. The hardest hit areas have been swarming with busy little Christian worker bees all year, and most of them have come with their church T-shirts. I wish I had a good picture to show what lunch-time in Pearlington looks like when the fellowship hall at the Missionary Baptist church fills up with Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists of all different stripes, and a variety of other faith-based volunteers. Better than that, I wish I could take everyone I know there to feel what true communion, true unity of purpose is like.

Canada Jon, as they call him in Pearlington, has established something called The Coalition of Disaster Relief Agencies in Pearlington. The code of conduct for this coalition pretty well sums up the attitude of all of the volunteers I’ve met there.

Take a look. For those who may have been burned out in childhood by the more mean-spirited variety of evangelism, this is truly refreshing and inspiring

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home