Blogathon for Pearlington

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Colleges Still Recovering

This picture is from the Pearl River Community College website. You can see more PRCC Katrina photos here. Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College also has storm damage photos posted online. USM's Katrina photos may be viewed here. And before and after photos of William Carey College's administration building are available here.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures from Jones County Junior College, my own campus, nor do I have any real information. The Hattiesburg American reports today that PRCC is now tearing down its coliseum. The article also mentions how long it is taking for even colleges to get processed through insurance claims.

I probably should know more about what's going on with storm repairs at my own school, but I don't. The buildings that were the most heavily damaged were not part of my normal stomping grounds. It was such a hectic year that I really didn't venture out exploring much. I do know that we never used the Home Health Auditorium again all year, and since it is our normal location for faculty meetings, I've just assumed it isn't repaired yet. But you know what they say about assuming. I'm making no claims. I just know that an enormous amount of work went into making it possible for us to even have school this year, let alone be back in the classroom only two weeks after the storm.

For more information about damage to Mississippi colleges, refer back to this September Chronicle article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home